Want a fun and easy snack? Try this recipe for cheese straws!
Looking for an appetizer or just a tasty treat? Cheese straws are sure to fit the bill! The best part about these is that they’re easy to make and the ingredients are simple. The recipe yields plenty to eat too. Let’s get started.
· 1 cup of all purpose flour
· 1 – ½ teaspoons of baking powder
· ½ teaspoon of salt
· ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese
· 2 tablespoons of butter
· 1/3 cup of milk
· 2 teaspoons of paprika
1. Using a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
2. Stir in cheese. Add butter and stir until you have coarse crumbs.
3. Gradually add milk and mix until you have a dough ball.
4. Flour your kitchen counter. Roll the dough into a square of about 12 inches. Sprinkle with paprika and cut into ½ inch strips.
5. Grease several baking sheets. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 6-8 minutes or until they are golden brown.
And there you have it. Cheese straws are that easy to make. You don’t even have to knead the dough! The recipe yields about four dozen cheese straws with a preparation time of about 30 minutes. This is a great activity for children too. They will require some supervision but they’re still pretty easy to make. And what child doesn’t like something with cheese?
Side Dish for Soups and Salad
What are cheese straws used for? Well, normally cheese straws would be used as an appetizer or side dish for soups and salads. Essentially it would take the place of breadsticks. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t have cheese sticks for a tasty snack.
In a health conscious society, many people are counting calories and watching their waistline. The aforementioned recipe can be fattening but there is a way to make it healthier. For example, you could use margarine instead of butter. You can use skim or low fat milk instead of 2%. You can use low fat cheese instead of regular cheese as well.
Recipes for Children
In addition to wanting to make food healthier, people want to make great food taste even greater. You can do this too. For example, omit the paprika and season it with cayenne pepper. Caution: it can get pretty hot! But you needn’t limit yourself to that. If you have a favorite seasoning you might consider experimenting with it so you can have a great cheese straw experience.
Now that you know the basics, you’re ready to make some amazing cheese straws. Enjoy!