Feng Shui (pronounced “fung shway”) is the 3,000 year old Chinese art of balance and placement. In feng shui, balance in life includes all things: health, wealth, career, family, fame, friendship, knowledge and self-improvement, and in equal balance: romance.
To bring romance and love to your bedroom (or to kick-start it if your romantic life is floundering), moving your furniture, adding a mirror and a vase of fresh flowers can help to bring back that lovin’ feeling.
According to feng shui practitioners, the bedroom is one of the most important rooms in your home because you spend a third of your life there. Ideally, your bedroom should be in the back of your home—a place where you can relax or romance without interruptions.
If possible, the master bedroom should be the largest bedroom in the house, and optimally, the bedroom should be in the marriage bagua (top right corner). If that’s not possible, try to perform as many “cures” as possible. For example, placing a mirror in the back of the house in line with the bedroom will help to pull the energy into a more ideal location.
The bed should be placed in the “commanding position”—the position where you can see as much of the room as possible while lying in bed. Don’t put your bed in direct line with the bedroom door or health problems can result. One way to fix this is to place the bed in a corner of the room, at a 45 degree angle to the corner.
The most ideal colors for bedroom feng shui are green and blue, which can help to bring healing and balance into your life. Avoid dark colors with glossy finishes.
Pink is the color that represents love in feng shui. Consider pink sheets or accent pillows, or even wear pink to bed at night.
The color peach can bring new romance to your life, but use it carefully! After a little while, peach can bring arguments and unhappiness, so it’s better to remove the peach soon after the relationship begins.
Feng Shui No-No’s
- Never place your headboard against or under a window. It can create insomnia.
- If you’ve recently moved relationships or have a second-hand bed, you may need to get a new bed or mattress. The last person’s “chi” may stay in the bed—why keep them around?
- Don’t place a mirror directly across from the foot of the bed. It’s said to frighten you when waking or sleeping, and can cause nightmares.
- A bathroom door next to your bed can cause drain and strain on your relationship. Keep your bed (especially the foot) as far away from the master bathroom door as possible.
- Crystals or chimes: will help to expand your chi, or life force. Picture your relationship growing.
- If you can’t afford a new bed, buy new sheets and fresh pillowcases. Picture having a fresh new relationship.
- A round mirror will bring renewed harmony to your relationship.
- Keeping a vase of fresh flowers on a bedside table or on the dresser will keep your relationship feeling fresh and loving. Just be sure to remove them as soon as they’re dead!
- Placing a heavy stone or statue in the bedroom’s relationship corner will ground your relationship and provide a strong foundation.
- Lighting: place a bright light in your bedroom, and picture a bright future for your relationship.