Human hair extensions are treated chemically to clean, color,curl or straighten. Most come from India, Russia, Latin America, Asia, and Europe. Virgin hair is rare.
Remy hair and Russian hair are considered to be quality natural hair. Most extensions, if not synthetic, are a combination of hairs. Neither is right for everyone without some altering of the orignal product
Remy hair is designed so all cuticles lie in the same direction which prevents the hair from tangling. Virgin Remy hair is not stripped of its cuticles or processed. Virgin Remy hair is dark and straight and looks attractive on women of color who wish this style. Chemical treatment colors and softens it to match Caucasian hair. It is also treated chemically to produce curly hair.
Once it is chemically treated by perming, coloring, or straightening, it is no longer virgin hair. Special products are needed to care for the curled or processed non-virgin hair. Typically called Indian hair and often sold or claimed to come from India, not all Remy hair originates in India.
The weft and the hair must be of equal quality so one part doesn’t outlast the other. A weft may be composed of various lengths similar to naturally growing hair or designed with equal matching lengths of cuticle preserved hair hand tied to a weft. The process creating the piece goes into the price. All hair types can utilize Remy hair.
Russian Hair Extensions
A highly touted hard to find hair, this type is said to originate from Siberia or the Ukraine where the women never colored or chemically treated their hair. The hair can be styled, dried naturally, and lasts for years. It may be priced hundreds to thousands of dollars. The real product shouldn’t be colored until received so that it isn’t altered chemically. Again, not all Russian hair is actually cuticle preserved untouched, untreated, Russian.
Hair Extensions – Caucasian Hair
- Synthetic hair for blondes, brunettes, and redheads looks fake but is inexpensive.
- Virgin untreated human hair is ideal but difficult to find and verify.
- European hair is typically from southern Europe or India or Latin America. The hair is treated and colored with patented fabric type dye.
- European-like hair is Asian hair that is treated and colored but still coarser than European hair.
- All imported hair is boiled and processed to meet US customs standards so it is all chemically treated.
- Color on any but the most virgin hair gives poor results. The purchased hair should match the desired hair color so it isn’t further damaged in an attempt to alter its chemical bonding. Color touchups then affect only the roots of the original head hair to match new growth to the attachment extension.
Hair Extensions for Black, African, or Non-Anglo Hair
- Black hair is more fragile than Caucasian hair and more likely to be damaged by unskilled pulling or weaving. Fortunately, stylists specializing in hair for women of color are part of a long time tradition of using hair extensions. They are continually finding new ways to augment hairstyles. The extension can also be placed to hide damaged areas from previous weaves and allow re-growth.
- Braid specialists will braid and attach multiple strands into the tightly braided scalp hair.
- Some extensions can be looped in a crochet like manner to the hair. This presents a very natural flat attachment.
- Black synthetic attachments are a more accurate attachment match than are those for Caucasian hair. They are lighter, less expensive, and can be styled with a warm flat iron or a curling iron.
Select pieces carefully and consider application techniques. Price does not always determine quality although good pieces are costly. Human hair is the most desired but check its origins and what treatments have been applied Look for a return policy from reputable dealers before spending money on a product that may shred or appear unnatural.