Home Decorating Blog: Small Decorating Makeovers That Make a Big Difference
by, 12-14-2015 at 10:20 AM (691 Views)
Interior decorating doesn't have to be expensive. It's easy to make a few small home decor changes that can have a big impact. All it takes is a little creativity.
In need of a change but don’t want to spend a lot of money? Don’t worry, there are tons of things that can be done to give a home a decorating update without breaking the bank. So put away your wallet and get your creative home décor juices flowing for a mini decorating makeover.
Paint is the home décor enthusiast’s best friend. A fresh coat of paint can refresh, revitalize, or even completely change the look of a room. Whether it’s used on the walls, furniture, or somewhere else altogether, paint is an inexpensive way to make a big change. Here are a few ways to make a drastic impact with a can of paint.
- Paint the kitchen cabinets. It can be done in a weekend and it will make it feel like you’ve had a kitchen renovation at a fraction of the cost. Or just paint the insides of the cupboards for a colorful surprise every time you open one of the doors.
- Find an inexpensive and tired-looking chandelier at a yard sale or flea market. Spray paint it white for a fresh look.
- Purchase a bunch of old frames or mirrors at a yard sale and spray paint them all the same color. Hang them together for a unified art gallery effect.
- Create your own wainscoting by painting the bottom third of the wall a different color than the top.
- Paint a lampshade in an unexpected color.
- Paint the inside of a bookshelf or armoire. It can make a standard piece unique and personal.
- Instead of white, paint the ceiling and trim a lighter shade of whatever’s on the walls.
- Paint the front door a new color.
Rearrange the Furniture
A lot can be done with furniture to change the look of a room without having to go out and buy new items. Move a few things around and be amazed at the difference.
- Rearrange the furniture in the living room. It will make the space feel fresh and new.
- Move the bed so that it’s in front of the window.
- Get rid of any furniture you don’t use. Seriously! Why are you keeping it?
- Slipcover a chair or stool in a fresh new fabric.
- Add a long bench at the end of the bed. It will give the room a more finished look.
- Dress up a plain footstool or ottoman by tacking nailheads around the edge.
- Put a small side table or chair next to the bathtub. It’s a great place to put down a book or glass of wine, or in the case of a chair, a great place for someone to sit and chat while you’re in the tub.
- Replace the living room coffee table with an ottoman or a couple of tabouret stools. It will make the space feel a bit more casual and it will provide extra seating if necessary.
Change and Move Accessories
There’s no end to what can be done with accessories. Use a little imagination and play around with accessories big and small.
- Gather all the accessories in the home that are the same color and place them together on a table or bookshelf. It will create a dramatic impact.
- Trim plain curtains with a pretty ribbon.
- Change cabinet knobs and hardware in the kitchen.
- Use jewelry as display pieces and drape them over objets or place them in bowls. Why hide them away in boxes?
- Add some toss cushions to a sofa or chair.
- Cover books in plain craft paper. It will create a unified look and protect the books.
- Hang matching mirrors on opposite walls to open up the space.
- Use a tray to corral accessories on a coffee table, chest, or desk. It creates a cohesive, pulled-together look.
- Instead of pictures, try putting a piece of fabric or wallpaper in a frame and hang it on the wall.
There are so many things that can be done to give a home an update or décor boost without spending a lot of money. Remember, small changes can make a big difference.